Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week One of Costa Rica!

Well, here I am!  In Costa Rica…sigh.  It is quite amazing!  Many of you reading this know the whirlwind it has been in order to get here!  Since it is such a story, I should start at the beginning though.  So much has happened and it only began about a week ago!

Here is the basic timeline:  
-Thursday 2/3: I received an email from Kristin, my friend who arrived in Costa Rica 2 weeks prior, saying a job was available and to contact the principal (just in case).  
-Friday 2/4: sure enough I got a call and interviewed via Skype that night.  
-Saturday 2/5: morning I got the job!  (What a great birthday gift…a job in Costa Rica!)  
-2 and 1/2 days to get ready before school!  Although I didn't get much done Saturday, I was still in complete shock.
-Monday 2/7: I took a redeye flight to make it to school on Tuesday morning!

It was meant to be, it all worked out too perfectly!  I have amazing family and friends that helped me get as much done on the forever long ‘To Do’ list as possible in those couple of days…thank you again:)  There is a lot to do when packing up life in the states for 10 months.  It was great that everything on the Costa Rican end was being taken care of!  (Kristin found a little house right next to the school for us to live in.)

Alas, I made it on the flight…Departure: Denver 12:30 am.  Finally a feeling of relief, if I forgot something, there was nothing to do now.  Arrival: San Jose 6:30 am.  Leaving a blizzard for a green, summer day was not bad!  A taxi driver, myself, and 2 large bags were on our way to Arandu Elementary to meet my 4th graders!  We sat the morning rush hour traffic and the kids did make it to school before me.  I have a tendency to be late sometimes, so this was fitting I was late on the first day of school…but, I'm surprised I actually did make it!  Luckily there was a school assembly when I arrived.  Finally, I saw my little classroom.  Books, supplies, blank walls.  It was ready for me.  One thing was missing from the classroom…lesson plans!  I didn’t even have a schedule of the day.  My ‘get to know you’ games were not lasting as long as I’d hoped!  I didn’t even know what time lunch was!  All I knew was that I was teaching language arts, math, and science to a very polite class of 4th graders. 

However, I did find out that Kristin was almost as lost as I was…somehow we did both make it through the first day and week!  I would tell you more about the first day of school, but I think I was in a fog the whole day.  Exhaustion, shock, hunger, a mixture of everything! After school, I took a taxi to a cute bed and breakfast, which was my home for the next 4 days..until Saturday.  We were waiting for our brand new 'casita' to be finished being built!

People seem to be extremely nice and helpful here!  But one challenge is directions.  There are no signs and no addresses.  But somehow after going to a delicious market with tons of fruits and vegetables...we made it and moved into our new..cute house:).  It's brand new and right next to the school!  It's perfect!  The familia that owns the house are so nice!  They have even given us a bit of furniture to help us out.  But Saturday was the day we decided to take a trip to Hipermas (the only WalMart type place around).  That in itself was quite the experience!  I have NEVER seen so many people in one store!  It was huge!  With thousands of things to buy.  I was completely overwhelmed when trying to buy toothpaste!  And everyone in the store had a cart that was full!  Myself included.  It is difficult to start from scratch and live in another country.  We needed things from food to cleaning supplies to dishes...and of course, a coffee pot.  Luckily the 1,000 colones for toothpaste...only meant 2.00...so that was a relief!  (I apologize...I'm still adjusting).  After our 4 hour trip to Hipermas, we could not have been happier to get out!  But we are now able to live and eat, so that's great!

Lesson planning is my next large task!  As well as planning field trips for the kiddos??  Maybe Lonely Planet can help with that one?  The school is great...but I'll have to get used to the lack of organization...and practice my Spanish so I can understand more in the next staff meeting:)

Well, this was quite long for a first post.  I hope somewhat entertaining!  There's so much more to say...at a later date!  I'm making through week 2.  But I'll keep ya posted:)

  

6 comments:

  1. Hey Britt, i love the first blog! Glad to hear that you and K. Squared are doing good and getting settled in! Cant wait to see some pics! Miss you guys and hope to talk soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i saw some pics of the school, and it looks super cool! ill bet the kids love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! I can't even imagine the craziness you are experiencing! Can't wait to hear more! Happy lesson planning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like quite a whirlwind of events! So you are teaching in English then? Is this at one of those international American schools? How long have you signed on for?

    Hope the second week is going well and you're adjusting alright. I'm looking forward to reading all about your adventures and teaching in a foreign country! Good luck with your lesson plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds crazy! Can't wait to hear more about it all and see some pictures. Congrats again on getting the teaching position!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Britt, Congrats on another week in the books!! Im so proud of you and i know that you are doing a great job!! Keep up the good work and ill talk to you soon!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete